Sunday, September 14, 2014

Black Beauty

This is the first time I have read Black Beauty. We have had it in my house for as long as I can remember, but that was just one book I never picked up, probably because it had to do with horses and I did not like horses when I was younger. That being said, I think it was easier for me to read this novel from a critical perspective since I did not have previous memories reading it.

The first question that popped into my mind was "why is the title of this book Black Beauty?" Sewell makes it very clear that it is because the horse who is narrating the story is a gorgeous black color. However, it threw me off when Black Beauty was described as a male horse. Beauty is normally an adjective used to describe females that goes all the way back to fairy tales such as Beauty and the Beast; the main character being Beauty who just so happens to be the most beautiful and most intelligent of all her sisters. I think by titling the book Black Beauty, Sewell appeals to a more generally female audience that probably would not be as strong if it was titled "Black Auster", one of the horse's other names for example.

This novel was also groundbreaking in terms of animal rights activism. Most animal rights activists happen to be upper class females. In 1877 when this book was written and in the five years following its immediate success, really the only people who could afford books were upper class citizens, despite the fact that serialization (like what Dickens did) was becoming ever more popular. Thus, by titling the book something more appealing to the upper/middle class female demographic, Sewell was almost guaranteeing that the issues brought up in Black Beauty would be picked up by those who cared most about these issues.

Since I am only halfway through the book at this point, I am not sure how the ending affects my proposal here, but hopefully they support each other. As of now I am enjoying this novel much more than I thought I would and I hope the trend continues as I finish reading!


4 comments:

  1. I think your point about gender is a little off, (no offense, I'm sorry!) We're bringing to this reading of Black Beauty our 21st century preconceived notions no matter how you look at it. Names were different, what we would consider girls' names now were given to boys'. So I think our concept of the idea of "beauty" might be different than the Victorian era's. I doubt that calling Black Beauty, "Beauty" had much to do with her appealing to the audience, it was just another way to endear the horse to her reader. Do we, as humans, not love beautiful things? We don't want to see beautiful things crushed, so by making beauty seem fragile and needing to be taken care of, Sewell gives her readers' a reason to care about the treatment of horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the attention you gave to the unconventional gender assignment of "Beauty". Even though we are not reading this in its respective time, it is telling how the notion or idea of beauty seems to be reserved for the female gender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also never read Black Beauty as a child, and I found it a very interesting read considering the current "critical perspectives" you mentioned that we maintain as readers at our level. As I was reading I was wondering what elements of the plot totally escaped my understanding because I was reading other areas in a deeper way.

    I also like your comment on the gendering of the world 'beauty.' I like that Sewell ascribed what we today think of as a traditionally feminine word to a male horse; in addition to accomplishing the effects you mentioned, I think it also helps to convolute the gender roles of the animals, constructing even masculine work horses as feminine. And even if this is simply a modern reading, it remains interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    I, like you had not read Black Beauty before. However, since finishing the novel, I'm so glad that I did! What a beautiful and heartwarming story. The ending was such a "feel good" moment and, to be honest, I wasn't expecting that, which makes it even better.

    I think you are spot on about the animal rights component of the novel. What a smart way to move your own political motives forward. Swell compel those who are able to make change to read this book by appealing to a feminine audience. It really is ingenious.

    Thanks!

    Sydney

    ReplyDelete